Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 7 Reading Diary: West African Folktales


This week, I'll be reading stories from the West African folktales unit. I will go through, read the stories, and record notes about some of the most interesting ones for my reading diary, as I have done for a couple weeks now.

Thunder and Anansi
I found many elements of this story interesting. I thought Thunder's cottage underwater was cool and magical. I also thought the meal-generating pot was cool. Also, his son could shape shift?? The best part of the story was that in the end, Anansi got what was coming to him.

White Ants
In this story, I almost felt sympathetic for termites...which is weird and gross. However, the poor father termite lost his whole family when all they tried to do was help the wolf and leopard. I also thought it was interesting that termites were referred to as white ants.

Why Spiders Are Always Found in Corners of Ceilings
I was very curious to find out why spiders are always found in the corners of ceilings. I took from this story that a rubber man is somehow like a scarecrow? In the end, I thought the explanation of why spiders are found in corners and dark places was suitable.

How the Tortoise Got Its Shell
I thought that the names got a little confusing in this story, but I thought it was interesting that a shell was made by being smashed onto a pot at the bottom of a pile and collecting dust and dirt.

King Chameleon and the Animals
I thought this was an interesting take on a story that was semi-familiar to me. I think a chameleon would make a pretty good king, but I understand why the animals left. I liked the quote at the end: "A king without subjects is no king."If none of the animals respected or listened to the chameleon, his title would be rendered pointless.

How Mushrooms First Grew
It was so sad that the bird had to sell its own offspring in the beginning of this story! There was actually a lot of sadness in this story. Ants weaving mushrooms was something I didn't expect, but I suppose if the mushrooms grow by anthills, this explanation makes a lot of sense.



No comments:

Post a Comment