Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Essay Week 6: Tibetan Folktales


This week, I read the stories from Tibetan Folktales. It took me a little deliberation before I decided on this unit, because there were a lot that seemed interesting in the Asia/Africa selection we’re currently in. In the end, I was happy with my choice.

The Tibetan Folktales featured a variety of subject matter, including ghosts, wizards, lots of animals, and many other things. Each story was accompanied by a Tibetan proverb. I liked this touch. Sometimes the proverbs didn’t seem to have much to do with the stories themselves, but they were still interesting to read. When they did connect to the story, it was even better.

I liked the length of the stories in this unit. In my opinion, they were long enough to successfully set the scene and tell a story without being too long to the point of becoming uninteresting. As I normally do, I completed all of the readings in one sitting. This helps me keep my thoughts together and once I get going, it’s just easier to make some time and take care of it.

I thought the notes on this reading were helpful. However, these stories were straightforward enough that I think readers would normally be okay without them.

My favorite stories this week (and, consequently, the only ones I took notes on) were all about animals. I think this might be influenced by the fact that I’ve decided to focus my storybook on animal stories, so I pay closer attention to animal stories. I find that somehow, animal stories make morals more accessible.

There weren’t any stories in this unit that I hated, and I really don’t think there have been any stories in any unit so far that I have completely hated. Of course, there are stories that I like better than others or stories that have endings I disagree with, but that’s okay.

(Illustration from one of the Tibetan Folktales, Blogspot)


No comments:

Post a Comment