Saturday, October 4, 2014

Week 8 Reading Diary: Self-Assessment


I reread the instructions for reading diary posts and I feel pretty confident that my reading diaries are on the right track. In the beginning, my reading diaries were longer, but they were a lot more summary-based than anything. I took notes on every story, but my notes were basically a quick rundown of the plot. They didn’t necessarily include my thoughts or opinions on the stories.

I have a pretty straightforward method. I’m big on establishing routine and I try to do so whenever I can. Every week, when it’s time to do a reading diary, I sit down, open a word document, and pull up the unit I’m reading. Since the stories are normally pretty short, I find it most convenient to read the entire story and then write about it if I choose to. I pick the number of stories I’m going to write about based on the number of stories in the unit/the number of stories I read for the week. Stories I choose to make notes about are usually ones that I saw something I enjoyed in. Recently, I’ve also been picking stories to make notes about based on whether or not I’d be interested in using them for my storytelling post.

I don’t think I’ve included an image in my reading diary posts yet. I find that it is kind of unnecessary, especially considering that the reading diaries always link back to the stories in the Un-Textbook and those stories usually have images. I could be a little more detailed in my reading diary posts. Sometimes I don’t find myself having a lot to say. Other times, I find myself saying a lot of repetitive things, so I can definitely try to be better about that. However, I feel I have the reading diary system under control, which is good because it’s the 8th week!

No comments:

Post a Comment