Saturday, September 20, 2014

Week 6 Reading Diary: Tibetan Folk Tales

This week, I'll be reading stories from the Tibetan Folk Tales unit. I will go through, read the stories, and record notes about some of the most interesting ones for my reading diary, as I have done for a couple weeks now.

Tiger and the Frog
I thought this story was really clever. In the beginning, it's easy to feel like there is no hope for the frog, but the frog ends up outwitting the tiger and the fox! I enjoyed this story and I also liked the proverb at the beginning of the story.

How the Fox Fell Victim to His Own Deceit
The moral of this story was interesting to me. I am definitely a firm believer in staying out of business that doesn't involve you, but some people purposely involve themselves just to stir the pot or create trouble. This is what the fox did in this story, and he ended up being killed.

The Man and the Ghost
The ghost came out of nowhere in this story and it seemed like it was a normal thing for ghosts to do this, which I thought was interesting. I also thought it was interesting that the man was able to fool the ghost and the ghost failed to recognize that the man was lying. Ghosts don't seem very trusting to me, but apparently this one was.

How the Raven Saved the Hunter
In this story, the hunter kills the raven before he realizes that the raven actually saved his life. I had previously read the Aesop's fable that was linked in the introduction and I found it fascinating that people who live so far from each other are telling stories that are very similar in nature.

The Two Little Cats
This story caught my attention mostly for the strange assortment of animals/objects that choose to help the cats. I can understand a cow and a snake, but needles, ashes, and a bowl of peas? Regardless of how bizarre that aspect of the story was, I liked this story and I think the point of it was that everybody can do something to help, so having a variety of allies is a good thing.

A Rabbit Story
I was interested in this story because a rabbit was the tricky troublemaker. Rabbits are very cute and usually rabbits are the victims in folktales and a scarier creature like a wolf or a bear will be the troublemaker. I appreciated that plot twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment