Monday, September 8, 2014

Storytelling for Week 4: The Story of the Wolf-Bride

There was once a man who had a son. His son was the greatest gift he had ever received, and the man cherished his son beyond measure. He never wanted to let anybody or anything harm his son. He wanted to protect his son forever.

One day, the man went to the akhund to get the boy’s horoscope. The man was excited to hear the horoscope. He felt confident that the akhund would tell him that his son would grow up to be a great man with countless riches and immeasurable success. However, this was not the case. Grimly, the akhund told the man what he had seen in the stars for the boy. According to him, the boy was fated to be torn to pieces by a wolf.

The father, visibly upset, ran home to take all the precautions imaginable. He worked for months on an underground chamber to keep his son safe. The chamber was airtight and impenetrable with multiple security features designed to keep the outside out. The setup was not fancy but it was also not uncomfortable; the man loved his son very much and he understood that his son shouldn’t be punished for something he couldn’t control.

Still, the man went to great lengths in an attempt to ensure he’d never see the day where his son’s predicted fate came true. His son was never allowed to go outside after dark and was very rarely allowed to go outside in the daytime. On the rare occasions when the boy was allowed to come up for some fresh air, the father and several other men from the village stood watch and kept him in sight.

The boy didn’t go to school. His father convinced an akhund to teach his son from the safety of the shelter. The boy enjoyed his lessons because they brought some interaction into his life. Over the years, the boy learned to read and write and developed more or less normally. The father’s paranoia began to fade, and he decided that it was time for his son to marry.

The father found a girl and arranged the wedding. The boy was very excited. Finally, he would have someone to keep him company every day! The wedding celebrations lasted seven days and seven nights, and at the end of the week they brought the bride to the underground chamber to her husband and left the two alone together. Both father and son seemed happy and at ease.

But a happy ending was not in store for the boy after all. As soon as the boy put his arm around his new wife’s waist, the girl turned into a wolf and tore the boy to pieces. As soon as the deed was done, the girl returned to her normal self. She was overcome with shock and guilt. She could not comprehend what had happened or how it came to be. She sat on the floor, as if paralyzed by emotion, for the entire day.

The next morning, some women came to check on the bride. When they saw the scene in front of them, they all gasped. "Girl," they asked, "how has this come about?"

"I don't know," said she, "but I know this much, that I turned into a wolf and tore him, and then again I turned back into myself."

The women raised shrieks and lamentations, and they carried off the youth's body and buried it, and men said: "Whatever is willed by fate, that verily comes to pass."


(A gray wolf, Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography:
Book: Persian Tales
Author: Translated by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer, illustrated by Hilda Roberts
Year Published: 1919
Web Source: Persian Fairy Tales


Author's Note: This week, I chose to base my retelling on The Story of the Wolf Bride. The original story is very short, so I dramatized and extended some parts for my retelling. I kept the core idea the same: the son was fated at birth to be torn to pieces by a wolf, and nothing that happens in his life can change this. I kept the ending the exact same because I felt the wording and the sentiment in the ending was especially powerful. 

6 comments:

  1. Melanie, I really enjoyed reading your story! I thought it flowed very nicely, and you did a wonderful job elaborating on the simple plot of the story. Also, I did not see it coming that the boy’s wife would turn into a wolf and be the one to tear him to pieces! Great plot twist! This retelling definitely has me interested in the original version. Would you recommend this unit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelbi, I read this unit as well, and really enjoyed it! It was one of my favorite because the stories were really interesting, but have an off-beat kind of random style to them that I really enjoyed! I would recommend it!

      Delete
  2. Melanie, this is crazy - we did the exact same unit & story for our post!!! What are the odds?!

    It is kind of cool to see two different ways that we decided to retell this story. For my retelling I kept the central theme the same, but changed the context. I like that you used the original story, but added your own ideas, creativity and flair to it! I think you did a good job adding in some new details.

    I know I really enjoyed reading this unit, it was so different than our American versions of fairytales that are kind of watered down and kid-friendly. I hope you found this Persian unit as interesting as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a great elaboration of the original! I did not read this unit this week so I did not read the original story but from reading yours I am glad you did not change much. I think the original story has such a strong message that you would not want to stray from that too much. I love the idea that the story presents that you can not change fate. I did not see the wife being the wolf at all though! I was wondering how the wolf would come into the story and was surprised by her identity! Great job on expanding it and keeping the central message about fate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was especially interesting to read since I also read Kristina's version of the same exact story before this! You also gave very good details that make the story come to life and the way that the horoscope comes true is very unexpected. It is also interesting that the wife turns back into a human after she has killed her husband and you even added a little moral lesson at the end, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a crazy story Melanie! I like that you stayed true to the story, but because the original story was shorter, you were able to add your own touch to it. And you did a very good job of that! I was not expecting the wife to turn into a wolf and kill her husband. What an interesting ending!

    ReplyDelete